When it comes to dressing for work less is more, for me anyways. The goal is to allow your outfit to share something about your personality but not overshadow your work. That’s why I usually rock a pair of statement heels to work. Many people in corporate American fall victim to one of two things:
- Getting so caught up in work wear to add their personal flair
- Throwing their work dress code to the wind in the name of fashion
Both can be equally detrimental to your success at work. By wearing the same old, traditional work outfits, think plain white button up and slacks, you show your superiors that you aren’t a free thinker and may not have any fresh ideas to provide. If you’re throwing caution to the wind and wearing practically what ever you want to work you are, unfortunately, showing that you not only can’t follow rules but care more about your appearances than your work. If you really want to impress your higher ups here are some simple ways to dress up your work wear:
- Playful Heels. Don’t be afraid to rock some colored, patterned, or textured heels into the office, but that steer clear of anything overly sexy, opt for a classic style but in a fun color and keep the rest of your outfit simple.
- Fun Patterns. Rock a quirky patterned button up underneath your blazer or cardigan or sport a fun skirt, it show’s you’re not afraid to be both professional and playful.
- Bold Colors. You don’t want to go overboard but having one item with a pop of color or even a colored suit will show your uniqueness while still working with the dress code.
Dressing for work doesn’t have to be boring. Of course, as I always say, you want to make sure no matter what you’re wearing that you feel comfortable and confident, especially for work. Treat your work wear as a suit of armor that will give you strength no matter what the day throws your way! See my other work wear outfits here, here and here.
Comment below and tell me: Do you like wearing statement heels to work?
Make sure you’re following me on:
Shop the Look