Despite how it may seem in the first picture, I think we can all agree the holidays are looking extremely different this year. As I write this my Christmas playlist is blasting “I Listen to the Bells” by Luther Vandross and every last set of lights I have is strung up across the beams and window frames in my loft. Ever since I graduated college Christmas has become an awkward time for me. I save a bunch of my vacation days to take two-ish weeks off from work at the end of the year because I drive home to my mom’s in Wisconsin for the holidays. Before hitting the road I usually spend a few of those days cleaning my loft, running around town picking up some gifts and catching up on creating content. Since I normally would be at my mom’s by now I don’t bother decorating my place. Usually after I arrive home we would pack ourselves and the dogs inside the family van to go pick out, chop down and decorate a tree but that tradition has been abandoned over the past few years. While my family never had huge gatherings or got all dressed up, I would always look forward to the tree to get me in the holiday spirit. That’s why the past few years I’ve created my own tradition. I get all dressed up, head to Detroit and take pictures in front of all their decorations. It seems silly but it’s a fun way to explore downtown. The storefronts have rows of Christmas lights across the sidewalks, carry out spots have even put up festive sitting decor with long, log benches and baby trees. I stop at all my favorite spots to warm up between pictures, maybe buy a few things and it really gets me excited for the holidays. I went with my usual M.O. for a chic outfit which is to create a monochrome look. It’s such a simple way to always look good. This year I’ve been obsessing over green so I recreated a crowd favorite Christmas outfit from a few years ago. Keep reading to see why this outfit works for the holidays, places to shop at in Detroit and some pieces I’m eyeing up that would make super chic Christmas outfits.
Why this Look is Perfect for the Holidays
What makes this outfit so great for Christmas is because you can wear it no matter what you’re doing. This River Island sweater dress is amazingly flattering and made of super soft material. Not only can you dress it up for a small gathering but you can also pair it with some slippers for lounging around the house. To spice it up I threw on a faux fur scarf. This is my favorite trick to making an outfit look luxurious. The scarf was only $10 but the color and texture what makes it look so expensive. Not only does faux fur help to keep you warm in case you’ll be out and about but if you eat too much it’s perfect for hiding your food baby. In the spirit rich auntie vibes I layered my dark green coat over the outfit. The darker color gives a slimming effect and keeps the outfit from looking boring. Wearing a coat in a different shade than your base adds more interest than one that’s the same shade. Lastly I finished the look by pairing it with these olive ankle boots. Heels always add glam to an outfit but the shorter heel makes it much easier on your feet when you plan to do a lot of walking. If it’s snowing though definitely skip wearing the heels outside, it’s not worth risking injury.
Detroit Shops Worth Buying From
If you’re in the Detroit Area or looking to support local owned businesses in general here are some places I recommend shopping for the holidays:
- Bon Bon Bon– chocolates from Bon Bon Bon make the perfect gift because they’re hand crafted and come unique flavors. With their super cute designs they’re a sweet way to spread some holiday cheer.
- Bird Bee– this the perfect clothing boutique to buy on trend pieces that will become wardrobe staples for the fashionistas in your life.
- The Lip Bar– their natural beauty products can also be found in Target and make great stocking stuffers.
- Tealing and Co.– for your wellness friend, organic teas from this black owned company help to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Rail and Anchor– the perfect place to find one of a kind knick knacks to put the finishing touches on your home decor.
- Shinola– is best known for their luxury watches made right in Detroit but they also make other leather goods like belts and journals that make timeless presents.
- Rebel Nell– sells unique jewelry perfect for that someone on your list who loves pieces with personality.
Other Last Minute Christmas Pieces to Rock
I’m curious to know, are you dressing up for the holidays? If so what are you planning to wear? Comment below and let me know!
Don't Miss a Look! Get Every Outfit Delivered Straight to your Inbox by Clicking the Button Below!