Happy New Years you guys and welcome back to my little corner of the internet! I just want to thank you real quick for following me on this crazy journey that is life. I am forever grateful that you not only found me but have continued to stick around all these years to support me and help make Lil Miss JB Style what it is today, it’s so surreal and I am so so thankful for each and every one of you!
If you read my dining in an igloo post then you’ll know I save a handful of vacation days to use at the end of the year to spend the holidays with my mom in my small hometown of Wausau. There are tons of perks to going back home for an extended period of time: home cooking, no chores, quality time with the family-just to name a few. And even though I’ve been making the trip back for almost a decade I always struggle with packing for the cold weather. I get that I’m supposed to used to it because I’ve always lived where it’s cold but between getting practically slapped across the face with blistering winds and sub zero temperatures, the struggle is very real to get out from under the covers and attempt to get dressed. Let alone figure out the perfect pieces to mix and match that will not only last a few weeks but also fit into a suitcase or two. To this day it still blows my mind that I seem to find a way to make it happen every year. That being said I know I’m not the only one who feels uninspired to look chic when the temperatures start to drop. So today not only am I sharing some things to do back in my hometown but also some casual winter outfit ideas with you all to help you get through winter in style. Scroll all the way to the bottom to shop my looks!
Where to Get Your Coffee or Smoothie Fix
I don’t know about you but one of my favorite things about returning home is finally getting to enjoy some hometown favorites and discovering new places as well! After pretty much visiting every spot in town here are my absolute favorite places to grab a hot cup of coffee and or a super healthy smoothie:
- Condor Coffee-though not technically in Wausau, Condor is one of my favorite places for a well crafted latte. My personal favorites are their lavendar latte and dirty chai.
- Wild Roots-relatively new to the scene I can’t say enough amazing things about this smoothie spot. The owner is amazingly knowledgable amd makes smoothies and power bowls that are out of this world! Her menu is also accomodating to even the strictest diets. My grandmother who’s currently on the Fodmap diet was able to find something nutrious and delicious on the menu.
- Whitewater Music Hall-right in the heart of downtown this spot used to be a Mason hall but recently was renovated. There is honestly so much to love abut this place like the fact that they make their own syrups, host music and art events as well as their amazingly chic sunset aesthetic.
Where to Grab a Bite
Besides checking out the Hilton Garden’s Igloos here are some of my other favorite places to grab a bite or good drink:
- The Filling Station-while it doesn’t look like much on the outside their breakfast is unbelievable! I always go to get their easy fill breakfast sammie!
- Timekeeper Distillery– located in an abondoned trainstation it’s the perfect place to stop in and enjoy a well crafted cocktail.
- Back When Cafe– I’ve never had actual food from here but this is a must stop if you’re a cake lover! Their carrot cake is hands down the best I’ve had in my whole life.
Things to Do
If you’re looking for some ways to keep busy, here are some of my favorite places to visit:
- Rib Mountain-if you’re a fan of the outdoors then this is for you. Although it’s more of a hill to be honest there’s plenty to do to keep busy like skiing, snowboarding, or hiking the trails up the mountain for breathtaking views of the city.
- Marathon Park-another perfect place to enjoy an easy walk while taking in the snow dusted trees.
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum-our little museum added a new addition a few years back which has allowed it to bring in some fun exhibits. I got to see their oragami exhibit which even featured hands on tutorials to create your own!
- Thrift Shopping– suprisingly my little hometown is a goldmine when it comes to thrift finds. With stores like Second Peek, Nice as New and of course Goodwill your bound to find a few hidden gems!
And there you guys have it, some easy casual winter outfit ideas + some fun things to do if you ever find yourself in my hometown!
Shop My Looks
Don't Miss a Look! Get Every Outfit Delivered Straight to your Inbox by Clicking the Button Below!