One of my main focuses this year has been creating conscious spending habits. Spending money on pieces I know I will wear season after season, made out of quality materials, and created ethically. Buying pieces that not only serve a purpose, but impact the individuals who have put their time into making them. In this pursuit, I have made more of an effort to shop locally. That’s how became involved with Buy Nearby, a feel-good program designed to promote Michigan retail businesses and communities. And how I met Jennyfer Crawford of Ask Jennyfer who is single handedly creating major opportunities for small businesses here in Detroit.
Recently I was asked to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of her business which not only offers consulting for small businesses but hosts events like All Things Detroit. She’s also opened the All Things Marketplace to help local business sell their products online. It’s events like this that help make conscious spending much easier. You get to meet the people behind each business, learn about their products straight from the owner’s mouth and see where your money is going. And rest assured that your hard earned money is going towards someone’s dream. Jennyfer has really made a difference in Detroit’s small business scene and it was such an honor to celebrate her accomplishments. Which is why, as a Buy Nearby ambassador, I invited my whole contact list to attend and support a Michigan business that’s out to grow local businesses. While there are dozens of businesses in the All Things Marketplace here are some other amazing Metro-Detroit businesses you should stop by the next time you find yourself in the area:
- Rail & Anchor for cute bits and bobs to decorate your home
- Sister Pie for the best gluten free brownies, unique cookies and of course pie
- Detroit Denim Co for custom denim that fits like a glove
- Johnny Noodle King for amazing ramen noodles
- Astro Coffee for surprisingly amazing egg Benedict sandwiches and coconut bread
It was an honor to collaborate with a company who focuses solely on the success of other small businesses on behalf of Buy Nearby. Also through Buy Nearby I’m able to offer you a chance to win a $500 Discover card, because who couldn’t use an extra $500? So mark your calendar for October 6-8th to enter the I Buy Nearby campaign for your chance to win. All you have to do is:
- On October 6th-8th choose a photo of you buying from your favorite local spot to post on one of the following social media channels: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
- Use the #ibuynearby hashtag in your caption
- Tag the “I Buy Nearby” social media channel: Instagram @mibuynearby, Twitter @buynearbymi, Facebook page
- Post your awesome picture!
Watch the video to learn more about All Things Detroit.
Shop My Look Below:
**This post is in collaboration with the Michigan Retailer’s Association’s “I Buy Nearby” campaign and contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small monetary incentive that is of no charge to you but I promise all thoughts are my own.